Click here for more information on Legacy Awards eligibility and how to apply: https://www.elks.org/scholars/scholarships/Legacy.cfm
Note to District Chairmen: Please mark your calendar to check back with the GL website in late April to find information about possible award winners in your district.
Legacy Awards are $4,000 scholarships ($1,000 per year for four years). The foundation will offer a total of up to 250 awards. The contest provides educational assistance to children and grandchildren of Elks members who are high school seniors, going on to college, and exhibit the following core values of the Elks National Foundation: knowledge; charity; community; integrity. The Selection Committee judges applications based on these values.
- Any child or grandchild (or step-child, step-grandchild, or legal ward) of a living Elk who joined the order on or before April 1, 2013 or is a charter member of a Lodge that was instituted on or after April 1, 2014 is eligible to apply. The Elk must also be a paid-up member through March 31, 2016. Great-grandchildren are not eligible.
- The applicant must be a high school senior.
- The applicant must apply online only.
- Students may apply for more than one ENF scholarship; however, they may win only one. In cases where the student qualifies for more than one, we will award the scholarship with the greater value.
- Legacy Awards may only be applied to accredited U.S. American schools, colleges, or universities.
- Applicants must take the Scholastic Aptitude Test or the American College Test by December 31, 2016.
- Students are notified by the Grand Lodge when the award checks are mailed to their respective school. All checks are paid directly to the school; under no circumstance can we make payment directly to the student. The award becomes final when the student accepts it and actually enrolls in an accredited U.S. American school, college, or university. The award money will be apportioned equally by period (semester, trimester, quarter, etc.).
- In order to receive payment, a student must have the school send a completed Verification of Enrollment form to our Chicago office. We will then issue our check, payable to the school, and mail it directly to the school to establish a credit in the name of the student. The Grand Lodge will notify the student when the check is mailed.
- The scholarship monies may be used for tuition and fees, books and supplies, and room and board.
If a student leaves school for any reason, the undisbursed balance of the scholarship must be returned directly to the Foundation's Chicago office. It may not be transferred to another school, and it may not be paid to the student personally. It is the responsibility of the student to follow up on all matters relating to his or her scholarship. In all correspondence relating to a student who has won or is applying for a Legacy Award, we must have the full name and ENF ID number of the student.