It is now time to make your plans to attend the Florida State Elks Association Midyear Convention. Our convention is being held this year at the Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore located at 2225 N. Lois Avenue, Tampa, FL 33607. The dates of the convention are Friday, November 15th through Sunday, November 17th. The link to make your hotel reservations at the Hilton and the agenda for all meetings may be found in the quick links on the left. Dress for all activities is business. Gentlemen are urged to wear jackets, tie optional.
Please be informed that all reservations must be made directly with the hotel and that the cutoff date for reservations is Thursday, October 24th or when our room block is sold out. After this date rooms and rates are subject to availability. The room rate is $119 plus 14.5% tax or $136.26 per night for a standard room. If you prefer to make your reservations by phone, the number is (813) 877-6688. Our group block is FSEA19. You will need to mention our group block in order to get a room and the Elks discounted rate. If you call the hotel and do not give them the group block, FSEA19, they will tell you that they are sold out. The hotel IS sold-out for our dates as there is a home Buccaneer football game that weekend. The only rooms available are the rooms in our block.
Everyone attending, including spouses, guests, FLOE delegates, etc., is asked to preregister with the FSEA so we know who will be attending and so we can have a name badge waiting for you when you arrive at the Elks registration table. The link to online registration can be found in the quick links on the left. The Elks registration table at the Hilton will be staffed during the convention from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Friday and from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
A couple of notes about the Hilton:
- Check-in time is 3:00 p.m.Check-out is 12:00 p.m.
- Hotel pet policy is pets NOT allowed. Service animals are allowed.
- Elks guests receive complimentary on-site parking. *
- Complimentary Wi-Fiservice is available in the meeting rooms and guest rooms. *
* After completing your online reservation, you will receive a confirmation. Your reservation confirmation number is located at the very top of the page above the Hilton address. Review your confirmation carefully to see that you have the correct dates and the correct rate of $136.26 per night inclusive of taxes. On page two of the confirmation you will see at the bottom Optional services for an additional charge. It will list three things as follows which you will need to disregard:
- Parking charges: Self parking - $12.00, Daily)(Plus tax.
- Standard In-Room and Lobby Wi-Fi: Free for Hilton Honors members who book direct; $9.95 for all other guests.
- Free Wi-Fi does not apply to meeting spaces or at properties with resort charges.
Per a “special provision” in our contract with the Hilton, hotel guests receive Complimentary Self-Parking, Complimentary Wi-Fi Access in Meeting Spaces, and Complimentary Wi-Fi Access in Guestrooms.
On Saturday morning, the ladies from FLOE (Florida Ladies of Elks) will be sponsoring a make-and-take Autumn Wreath craft activity. The cost is $25 per person. To register, use the quick link on the left.
Jim O’Kelley, the Director of the Elks National Foundation Department is scheduled to be our guest presenter. Jim will be presenting the ENF and Grants on Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. All Elks are encouraged to attend.
The midyear general session complete with reports from all our committees and programs will be held on Saturday from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. This session and the Major Projects Presentation on Sunday are the two events that are required to be attended by at least the Exalted Ruler and two other members from each Lodge.
The Major Projects meeting will be held on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. and is scheduled to conclude at 11:30 a.m.
To summarize, here is your to-do list:
- Make your reservation at the Hilton by using the quick link.
- Preregister with FSEA for your name badge(s) using the quick link.
- Purchase your ticket(s) if you plan to attend the Saturday Ladies’ Activity.
Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our Meetings & Events Manager, Dana Beatty by e-mail at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you at the November meetings!
Carl T. Seibert